By The Rhythmia
The Rhythmia CD
also by Kevin Sanders and friends
The Isles of Rhythm:
Merry Christmas Tonight
Merry Christmas Tonight
& Ave Maria
Dancin' Boots On
The Rhythmia on Myspace
The Rhythmia is a string band that performs a mix of authentic Ragtime (primarily written & published in Kansas City, their home town) and Caribbean music, along with original compositions, to form a variety of old-time folk dance music.
Liner notes in PDF format
Click on any of the following song titles to read a description of the song and to hear a brief sample.
Total Running Time: 60:46
- Dill Pickles Rag (Charles L. Johnson, 1906) 2:49
- Sunflower Slow Drag (Scott Joplin & Scott Hayden, 1901) 3:48
- Cha Bai (traditional Cape Verde piece, 1890) 1:57
- Peaceful Henry (E. Harry Kelly, 1901) 2:55
- Impecunious Davis (Kerry Mills, 1899) 3:47
- Pauv Piti Momzel ZiZi (traditional Creole piece, 1946) 2:29
- Pigeon Wing Rag (Charles L. Johnson, 1909) 2:49
- Zorita – Spanish Intermezzo (Harry Cohn, 1907) 3:16
- Corn Shucks (Ed E. Kuhn, 1908) 2:28
- The Kaiser’s Rag (Clare Mast, 1915) 3:07
- The Walking Conga (Kevin Sanders, 2009) 1:50
- The Thriller (May Aufderheide, 1909) 2:34
- Kansas City Rag (James Scott, 1907) 3:16
- Manchega (Louis M. Gottschalk, 1852) 3:54
- The Proud and Prosperous (Pat Ireland, 2009) 1:57
- Rag Pickings (unknown, arranged by Fred Van Eps, 1911) 4:33
- Forsythia (Kevin Sanders, 2009) 3:17
- Smoky Mokes (Abe Holzmann, 1899) 2:53
- Ragged Edges (Kevin Sanders, 1993) 3:19
- Dixie Twilight (Charles L. Johnson, 1909) 3:39
Produced by Kevin Sanders
Arrangements by The Rhythmia, except: Rag Pickings, by Fred Van Eps (1911); and Sunflower Slow Drag, by Etilmon J. Stark, (1903).
Thanks to: Debby Sanders, Dennis Pash, Nannette Rod, Lee Davidson, Donna Roberts; Mary Beveridge; Benoit LeBlanc, Nora Hulse, and Smiley Wallace. In memory of Helen Wallace, always a strong supporter of local musicians.
Kevin Sanders – Guitar, percussion, banjo-guitar (Cha Bai)
In addition to performing, Kevin, a founding member of The Etcetera String Band, Kevin has written several songs and instrumental pieces. He has published articles and given symposiums on ragtime music and was interviewed for Uniquely Kansas City, a television documentary on the history of the arts in Kansas City.
Pat Ireland – Violin.
Although classically trained, Pat, also a founding member of The Etcetera String Band, developed an early affinity for earthier forms of music and was a frequent competitor in old-time fiddle contests, of which he has won many. Pat is a music teacher and a prolific composer. He has released The Original (RBR 102), a CD of his original fiddle tunes.
Bob Ault – Mandolin, five-string banjo, tenor banjo, ukulele
Bob is a composer and arranger, who has entertained everywhere from Carnegie Hall to Japan. Bob, also a member of the Etcetera String Band, learned this authentic 100 year-old style of banjo from Howard Weilmuenster, a student of ragtime banjo great Fred Van Eps. He provided music for the off-Broadway show Fables in Slang in New York. For 37 years Bob was an assistant instructor for the History of Ragtime course at Washington University in St. Louis.
Ragged But Right RBR103
© Copyright 2010 by The Rhythmia; The Proud and Prosperous © Copyright 2010 by Pat Ireland; The Walking Conga, Forsythia © Copyright 2010 by Kevin Sanders; Ragged Edges © Copyright 1993 by Kevin Sanders
Order this CD from us.
download from one of these sources: